Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A morning on the Yadkin Valley Railroad

06:45, I awake to the sound of the scanner coming to life as the Yadkin Valley Rural Hall Dispatcher gives the Rural Hall train, territory blocks to proceed to Donaha, NC. Rainfall on my bedroom windowseal is a sure sign that the forecast from the previous nights 10PM news is accurate, cloudy skies, scattered showers and highs in the lower 60's. Another beutiful fall morning in North Carolina foothills. My morning begins with a 45 minute drive to Burch, NC, where I await the Yadkin Valley Rural Hall Train. Also known as the road train for the Yadkin Valley Railroad. It Leaves Winston Salem around 5AM, and arrives at its far west destination of Roaring River by 10AM. Where it will then pick up and set off cars in and around Roaring River and head back towards Winston Salem arriving sometime early evening. 

As I arrivie at Burch, I pull into a small parking lot across from the Tyson Feed elevators which are standing tall and proud in the dark overcast morning sky. The silence of a cool fall morning and the sound of steady rain falling on my windsheild are broken by the Rural Hall train crew and dispatcher conversing over their radios. "Yadkin Valley Rural Hall train to the Yadkin Valley Rural Hall Dispatcher, show us clear Crutchfield, 8:35, 8, 3, 5 AM. No Switches, over. The dispatcher repeats to assure accuracy in the transmission, and then gives the crew permission through the Burch block and into Elkin yard limits. I know now he is not far off, so I step out of my car, and start scouting a place to shoot him from. Seeing a spot across the tracks, near a fence. I begin my walk the 40 or so yards to get in place. The rain has now condensed to a small drizzle, and more of a fog than a light rain. I start to clear a few branches in my way and then the faint sound of a Nathan K3 airhorn echoes through the Yadkin River Valley. And then another squalk on  the scanner. "Yadkin Valley Rural Hall train, entering the Burch Block, 8:45 AM. The gates spring into action and so do I, steadying my camera and looking through the viewfinder the train comes into view. Three of the Gulf and Ohios newest locomotives added to the Yadkin Valley Roster, head up todays train. A few snaps of the shutter, and a friendly wave and honk from the engineer. After the 43 car train passes the crossing, I make my way back to my vehicle and proceed to head towards Elkin.


Getting ahead of the train is not hard. The backroads and sideroads through this part of the county are more than challenging, but so is the stretch of railroad. As I reach the Elkin city limits, the crew makes its prescense known yet again. "Yadkin Valley Rural Hall train, Elkin Yard Limits, 9:04AM". The dispatcher then gives the Rural Hall train permission through Rhonda, and the Roaring River block, which is occupied by the Elkin train. The Elkin trian, also known as the Elkin Switcher, takes care of the switching duties between Crutchfield, NC and Roaring River, NC. About a 21 mile stretch of railroad. By this time, I know how long I have to setup before the train gets to me. Downtown Elkin offers a number of photo opportunities, and today is no different. Overcast skies, gives the opportunity for diffused lighting to work in my advantage. The old steele girder bridge across the banks of the Yadkin River, connecting Yadkin and Surry counties togather which has stood for many decades is in the process of being demolished. Work has reached overtop the Yadkin Valley Railroad right of way and my objective for today was to somehow fit the bridge into the shot before the final demolition was completed. Minutes later as I pull into the parking lot and set up, the train appears around the bend. Canadian style airhorn blowing and the cold wind coming off the river, carrys the sound up the valley and echoes off the sourrounding hills. The crossing gates come to life and the clanging of the bell gives away to the sound of  645 prime movers pulling hard to get the 43 car train up the constant grade towards Rhonda. Adjusting my camera settings and snapping photos, I failed to realize the rain had started to fall yet again. Hoping back in my vehicle after shooting what I could, I headed up Hwy 268 towards my next location I had planned out in Rhonda. 

Rhonda is your typical sleepy crossroads community, built up on the nearby banks of the Yadkin River and incorporated into a small town when the railroad stretched its vain farther west. Nowdays traffic has increased from what it was in the early century. Bulk commodities of wood chip, poultry feed ingredients, and lumber are carried out each week day by the Yadkin Valley Railroad, and one could say business is at its best on this end of the line. Arriving in Rhonda and setting up on main st, I await the arrival of the Rural Hall train. Knowing he has a good 10 minutes till he reaches me, I walk over to the small service station hugging main street and hwy 268 and grab a Cheerwine soda and "pack of nabs", as we call them in the south. Otherwise known as Lance peanut butter on cheese crackers. Cars dashing by on hwy 268 over the freshly fallen rain muffle the sound of the train as it rounds the sweeping curve leading into Rhonda. Readying my camera once again, and snapping photos as the train bears towards me. It is gone as quickly as it came. Hurrying farther west, I reach Roaring River where the rain once again has ceased and gave way to dark, cloudy skies. Fog off the river has settled into the valley, making the Tyson feed elevators look even taller than they really are.  The Elkin train is tied up in the pass track adjacent to the elevators with a cut of 3 cars to take back east to Elkin, and two Gulf and Ohio Geeps doing the honors. 


"Yadkin Valley Rural Hall train, calling the Elkin switcher over". The crews exchange a good morning and assure one another that the switches are lined and ready for the Rural Hall trains movement into the small yard. Arriving around 9:50AM and all 43 cars in tow, mostly grain, the Rural Hall train glides to a halt at the road crossing to let the conductor, and brakeman off to begin its switching duties for the morning. A cut of 6 cars which were pulled out of the industries just west of Roaring River by the Elkin train, are tied them down on the siding for transport back to Winston-Salem. In all it will be heading back east with 21 cars for the North Winston yard interchange with Norfolk Southern. By 11:00AM the switching duties are through for the Rural Hall train, it receives a fresh crew and the dispatcher gives permission east behind the Elkin train. Reviewing my photos, I am satisfied with the captures of the morning, and begin my drive back towards home.

No comments:

Post a Comment